Computers and Technology > Hardware

Computer not POSTing

(1/5) > >>

whores:

I logged in to the server last evening and my machine got "locked out". by that I mean the video and audio dies off and you get a blank screen but the computer would stay powered on. It happens very frequently when I game, but one hard reboot would normally start the computer back. But this time the video and audio does not come back again. It does not show even the compaq splash screen. some searching on the net seems to point to my mother board being fried. any ideas?

guit_ar_tist:
Never got this problem. Maybe contact your mobo company?

jwpizzy:
It might be overheating, try cleaning the insides out with canned air. How old is the computer?

Ban Em All:
ok, we are gonna need some computer specs, there could be many problems here, trust me, i do this for a living, one, the mobo can be bad, two, overheating like pizzy said, try getting the dust out, three, are you running SLI and a X-FI sound card, they can sometimes have problems with each other. what could also be happening is that the power supply is either not strong enough anymore

whores:

--- Quote from: [KEA] guit_ar_tist [GA] on August 07, 2008, 11:02:19 PM ---Never got this problem. Maybe contact your mobo company?

--- End quote ---

its very old. pretty sure there is no warranty.

--- Quote from: jwpizzy on August 07, 2008, 11:16:51 PM ---It might be overheating, try cleaning the insides out with canned air. How old is the computer?

--- End quote ---

The comp is about 5 years old. bought it used for a whopping $300 from my boss at that time  ;D and changed the case. Im not sure if its the heat, cos I have 6 fans running inside the Antec 900 case. 1 x 200 mm and 5 x 120 mm and I use a software called everest to monitor the temperature of all the parts while the machine is on load. The highest I've been able to get the Video card going is 82 degrees celsius and the CPU to 32 degress celsius, during stress testing. and yea I cleaned it with canned air last week.

--- Quote from: KillEmAll on August 07, 2008, 11:36:08 PM ---ok, we are gonna need some computer specs, there could be many problems here, trust me, i do this for a living, one, the mobo can be bad, two, overheating like pizzy said, try getting the dust out, three, are you running SLI and a X-FI sound card, they can sometimes have problems with each other. what could also be happening is that the power supply is either not strong enough anymore

--- End quote ---

here are the spec of my "gaming machine". I'm not kidding.

Pentium IV 3.2, 7800 GS AGP(yes I said AGP, not PCI) graphics, 2 G of PC3200 DDR memory with a compaq mobo and 600W Entec PSU. SLI ? :D i wish.

Anyways thanks guys. I'll get rid of this piece of shit and build a new one. cya'll in a few weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version