Computers and Technology > Hardware

need opinions from intelligent people

(1/7) > >>

pixiestyx:
So i've got my case

you can see that the HD bay in the bottom right is really close to the MB area, so close that i can't fit anything larger than a 9.4 in video card, so i'm looking into moving my hard drive up toward the CD drive area.  which is how i came accross this

I figure it would be a good addition to my computer.  It would keep my Hard drives cool while moving all 3 of thme up above the area, allowing me to put a larger video card in, and take out the HD rack, it's removable, only held in by 4 screws.

my other question for you peeps, is my board.  the single PCI-E x16 slot, is directly inline with my bottom set of sata ports

would i screw up my system if i moved the sata cables attached to my board around so it would fit a card that big?  I have a right angle sata cable that would fit under a video card that i could put under the first port, then have the other 2 drive hooked to the top set of red ports.  (the black sata ports are for raid, and with this board, asus m3n78 pro, if you have 1 drive in raid, they all have to be raid, stupid...)

so just making sure i wouldn't severely screw up my comp by doing these things.

trooper is j:
First off, you did not buy the case did you?  If you did you should return it. Then get a bigger case with more room.  You could be like me and get a atx full sized tower.  Here is what I bought : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811215013
From the looks of the board you are using AMD socket am2/am2+
You really should drop asus and go with a different manufacturer on the motherboard.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387     This board is made by gigabyte.

For your video card Go with  EVGA because of the lifetime warranty.
If you are going to get one of those GTX 200 series cards, you should definantly upgrade the PSU, I reccomend using PC power and Cooling because they do not use cheap parts Hence the reason they cost more.  Here is one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703019  
You can have yourself an amd quad core processor for $109 on newegg

Note:
Two drives are required to be in raid.  The gigabyte board that I have will let me use 2 drives in raid and some other drives un raided.   The right angle sata cable will not screw anything up.

DinG:
if you are gonna go for a 200 series vid card.. make sure u atleast have 40 amps on the 12V rail of ur PSU.. secondly.. the cards run hot.. not the 260's as much so make sure u have ennough room.. i have a thermaltake soprano and the 200 series barely fits in.. i mean i have to literally jam it in...

Sgt Snot Rocket(bonefish):
I agree with Trooper, you really might want to think bigger with the case. I run an EVGA GTX 275 and its HUGE!!! 10 inches long (insert joke here) and it takes 2 slots (its about 1 1/2" thick)....OK, insert another joke here...
 Ding has a valid point also, I had to upgrade my psu to run this beast, I chose a corsair 750 watt for the price and build quality.
The raid cage is kinda cool (I guess) but if you just go with the right sized case to start with everything will fit just fine and you will have tons of room to expand and upgrade when you are ready to.

Ban Em All:

--- Quote from: DinG on September 14, 2009, 12:46:21 AM ---if you are gonna go for a 200 series vid card.. make sure u atleast have 40 amps on the 12V rail of ur PSU.. secondly.. the cards run hot.. not the 260's as much so make sure u have ennough room.. i have a thermaltake soprano and the 200 series barely fits in.. i mean i have to literally jam it in...

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I really wish they would put more spacing between the cards for users running SLI. It would lower the heat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version