KEAGaming

Please login or register.

Author Topic: OverCocking my CPU (help)  (Read 4001 times)

Offline [KEA]Dylan

• DODS Server Owner
  • KEA Colonel
  • Part of The Family
  • Your Worst Nightmare
OverCocking my CPU (help)
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:01:10 PM »
sup girls. i've got my hands on an amd phenom 9950 black edition stock at 2.6 GigantacockZ (ghz) from da bay for $100 used. i've had it about a month now, and it's been wonders. but i am trying my damned hardest to get the damn cock speed to go higher. the 2.6 thrusts per minute is not enough for my map compiling projects. so i've got myself an asrock N68PV-GS motherboard to overclock it. reading online about how others got this baby to burst out more energy, they say it can easily be pushed to 3 GHz by simply raising the multiplier to 15x. i try this and instantly get a BSOD. the default is 13x, so i tried it at 13.5. it worked fine for a while then just bsod'd on me again. i tried 14x and raised the voltage from the stock 1.3v to 1.325 v, still got bsod. raised all the way up to 1.4 v and it was fine for a while, but just ran hot as fuck and throttled the speed due to heat. the cpu idles at around 45 C and the max thermal temp on the chip is 61 C, so thats pretty high. i've got many many case fans running throughout my case, and everything else seems to run okay. this is the CPU cooler i'm using: Thermaltake Silent Boost RX K8 Processor Heatsink and Cooling Fan.. i originally had a thermaltake blue orb 2 cpu cooler but it wasn't as good as this silent boost one.

oh by the way, the other specs i have:

2 GB ddr2 pc-5300 by PNY dual channel, overclocked to 800 mhz (stable as can be). i had 4 GB but the new mobo only has 2 slots :(
pny geforce gtx 260/core 216 edition
ocz technology gamextreme 850 watt power supply
sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer

any suggestions as to how i can get this damn thing to shoot more semen (mhz)? i'd really appreciate it! i know some of you (especially ding) love to make sure their computer's main cock runs at top efficiency
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:03:52 PM by DYLAN'S BACK!! »

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
Re: OverCocking my CPU (help)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
woha, watch it, if you make to quick of jumps you will fry your cpu and possibly your mobo. Look at this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250700-29-help-overclocking-phenom-9950-black-edition

Usually a quick google search does the trick. :p

MAKE TINY INCREMENTS, TO BIG OF JUMPS CAN FRY YOUR PROC AND MOBO. Then run a good stress test after each overclock. Run them for more than an hour and make sure you dont get any problems. I recommend toast. http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=867

Run 4 toasts and that will give your proc hell.

Offline D-MAN

• KEA Colonel
  • Get A Life
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
Fucking nerds...

Offline zone_trooper

• An Old Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:56:05 PM »
someone say over cocking???? 

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
someone say over cocking???? 
haha, just noticed that. lol

Rev. Jim Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:22 PM »
Yo uneed to lower your C.PU. temps before you try to over clock. Are you using to much paste? You only need a pea size at the most spread around C.P.U. in a thin layer. Did you clen your C.P.U. before you applied paste? I use Artic silver 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100008

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »
good points jim. I usually say if the temps go over 70, stop and unwind it a bit. If you go higher and up the voltage, your cpu is only going to last you a few years. If that.

Offline WIpilot

• Can barley stay on topic.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »
good points jim. I usually say if the temps go over 70, stop and unwind it a bit. If you go higher and up the voltage, your cpu is only going to last you a few years. If that.
The i7 says 100 C in the manual :), i got a little more play room.

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
The i7 says 100 C in the manual :), i got a little more play room.
the i7 manual is bs. yeah, you can, but you better make sure your mobo can. I would agree though, the i7 can take a true beating.

Offline Glox

• KEA Colonel
  • A Perfectionest
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
I had mine running like a sauna for a while. Big industrial fan blowing into it and all. Was worth it.

Overcocking beats Undercocking.

Offline Run Away!

• KEA Colonel
  • A Perfectionest
  • Made In The USA
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »
Over cocking your computer can make your girlfriend jealous, Seeing as your probably undercocking her?

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

ModernDark64 design by BlocWeb
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 18 queries.