Computers and Technology > Hardware

Planning on building a computer

(1/6) > >>

The Wolf:
I am planning on building a computer, can somebody please help me on what are the best parts I can get for great performance for running DOD, L4D, TF2, COD, COH and a couple other games.

What I was thinking is this

Nvidia GeForce GTX260 (896 mb)
4GB DDR2 Ram
1 Terabite
Windows Vista

What I cant choose is what type of processor I should get ?

Rev. Jim Jones:
We need your total budget.
1st off
do not cheap out on the power supply. (I love Corsair)
2nd
 Intel uss cost more but can be over clocker to faster speeds over AMD C.P.U.'s.
3rd
 Do not cheap out on the mother board (4 gigs of RAM is kinda excessive and cant be seen with most operating systems.)
Finally
Why go Vista unless you allready own it and is it 32 bit or 64 bit Vista as 32 bit cant see 4 gigs of RAM?

Ban Em All:
Just throw on Windows 7 RC1 or the Win7 RTM. vista blows. and try to go for DDR3, its 2 times faster, sometime 3xs.

Hands Mechanical:
Depends entirely on your budget.  I would agree to go DDR3 RAM, DDR2's ass is the only part of it that isn't out the door yet.

I say go with Windows7 RC1, Vista sucks a fat cock and there's no point in buying XP anymore.

Mobo, you want something with PCI-E, supporting DDR3 RAM, socket AM3 or at least AM2+, beyond that its mostly your individual preference.

I would recommend an AMD processor but the C2Ds from Intel are nice as well, I have one in my laptop.

Your graphics card pick is good.  If you can find a 216 core one it is worth the extra $10 or so.

Would you be wanting to overclock to get the max out of your parts?  What is your budget?  How long do you want it to be on top of the game as far as being able to run new stuff fairly well / what is your upgrade timeframe?  Any special considerations like not wanting onboard sound or having specific stuff you want to do with it (for video editing for example you would want to get a mobo with firewire jack etc)

The Wolf:
for my budget I can probally get some parts a bit cheaper because I know the owner of a computer store, but my budget is 1000$ or less (depends)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version