Computers and Technology > Hardware

looking at new video cards

(1/4) > >>

pixiestyx:
so my birthday is coming up, and my lovely wife said i could get a new video card, but obviously, can't break the bank

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4683604&CatId=3669

i found that while wandering around.  I know some of you will have something to say about it, but something  i want to know, do you guys think this is a good card?  I know ding will cause it's bfg.....

If you have a suggestions for another card, keep in mind, i have a small case, i've looked at an evga geforce 260, but it was too long to fit in my case due to placement of HD mounts and such, so this card is only 9 inches long, and would fit.  I currently have a xfx 9600 gso, which is 8.4 inches with about 1 1/2 inches to spare, so a 9 inch card would do fine.

my cases specs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2337810&Sku=ULT33178

just wondering opinions, and wish i could just win the lottery and purchase a brand new everything....

current system specs:

Asus M3N78-Pro MOBO
AMD Phenom 9500 2.2ghz Quad
4GB Corsair DDR2 Memory 800MHZ
600W Ultra Lifetime PSU
XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card
Seagate 250GB Sata HD X 3  (750)
Ultra X-Blaster Case

Ban Em All:
If you can, get the gtx 260. Make sure to use our links to at our homepage to!

pixiestyx:

--- Quote from: Ban Em All on August 13, 2009, 08:42:52 PM ---If you can, get the gtx 260. Make sure to use our links to at our homepage to!

--- End quote ---

like i said, that card won't fit, too big.  Although moving my HD cage around isn't the worst option.  I've been reading more about this case, and people have done it, just drilled new holes for the screws to mount, and shoved the HD cage up almost an inch, which would give me the space i need.  I don't even need an inch, just about 3/4.

The other option i'm looking at is a new mobo, my current mobo, Asus M3N78-Pro, has only 1 pci-e x16 slot, no sli.  Picture below

but, found this motherboard, Asus M3N72-D which is nearly the same as my current, but allowing for sli

don't have the money now to purchase to large video cards, but in the future i could.  because for a little more than what i'd spend on one of those video cards, i could roll out with a new mobo and a 2nd 9600 gso, the video card does well, and from the reviews of an SLI'd pair say it can handle nearly anything. so people who know computers better than me, please give your opinion, i'm not going to be buying anything for at least a month or 2.  I've got time to research for my best options.

trooper is j:
Get a 9800gt made by evga, it is what I have in this box.

Ban Em All:
maybe the second mobo, this way you dont block your SATA ports.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version