KEAGaming

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need a computer genious  (Read 3989 times)

MIFIVE

Need a computer genious
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:58:03 AM »
heres my problem:
i got a new monitor and dvd-rw drive, the monitor installed no prob and is orgasmic, but since i put the new drive in, i'm having problems starting up. it'll show the start-up screen, then text will come up at the top of the screen that says 'disk boot error. install system disk or try restarting' or some shit like that. i've experimented with different methods to try to fix it, like changing the jumpers in my drives, changing boot priorites, but the only way it will boot up or reboot is if i put the dvd-rw as the boot priority with the xp disk in the drive  ???  has anyone had a problem like this before, or does anyone know what the problem is here, and how i can fix it so i can boot/reboot without the system disk in the drive?

Rev. Jim Jones

Re: Need a computer genious
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
By jumper you mead on the dvd drive? Do you have a jumper on your mother board next to your C.M.O.S. battery? If not, just take out this battery for 30 seconds to reset your B.I.O.S. Also what are your jumper options on the DVD drive?

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
like jim said, do that and you should be good, if that doesnt work, then im at a lost to.

Offline [OnA]Sloppy

• OnA Pest
  • A Perfectionest
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:12 PM »
you also need a dictionary sir.

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
you also need a dictionary sir.
haha, that to

Offline fury

• mnn
  • KEA Lieutenant
  • Get A Life
  • come to bed,ill show you some tricks baby.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
1st-make sure ur jumper is set to "CS" (cable select) in ur dvd drive,then run the BIOS setup and select "detect drives" or so.

2nd-in the Bios setup,change the boot priority to: 1st:HDD, 2nd DVD/CD rom,3rd:whatever

3rd-save and exit,and be sure u dont have a windows cd in ur drive,as it might trigger the windows install (although u should need to press a key for this to happen)

if that dont work..surely its a case of being "at a lost"..buy a bullet and rent a gun

Offline D-MAN

• KEA Colonel
  • Get A Life
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
By jumper you mead on the dvd drive? Do you have a jumper on your mother board next to your C.M.O.S. battery? If not, just take out this battery for 30 seconds to reset your B.I.O.S. Also what are your jumper options on the DVD drive?
That same thing happpened to me once MIFIVE, and i did what Jim said and that fixed it...Best of luck!

MIFIVE

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
1st-make sure ur jumper is set to "CS" (cable select) in ur dvd drive,then run the BIOS setup and select "detect drives" or so.

2nd-in the Bios setup,change the boot priority to: 1st:HDD, 2nd DVD/CD rom,3rd:whatever

3rd-save and exit,and be sure u dont have a windows cd in ur drive,as it might trigger the windows install (although u should need to press a key for this to happen)

i tried that once and it didn't work

if that dont work..surely its a case of being "at a lost"..buy a bullet and rent a gun

owner of 9 weapons, this shouldn't be a problem

i'll have to try that when i have some extra time, will let you guys know how/of it works

SirKnightRedrider

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »
MIFIVE, did you resolve this yet?

Is the new DVD ATA133 (IDE) or Sata?

If ATA, is the DVD on the same IDE channel (cable) as the primary (boot) hard drive?

With IDE, the boot device must be on the very end of the Primary IDE cable (even with CS selected). The DVD can not be at the end of the cable, you'll have to twist and rotate the end to reach back down to the HDD and insert the second connector to the DVD. This is hard to do with ribbon cable, I would recommend getting round IDE cable to make it easier.

If your motherboard has two IDE channels, you can just seperate the two devices. Put the primary (boot) drive on the Primary IDE channel and the DVD on the Secondary IDE Channel.

Offline D-MAN

• KEA Colonel
  • Get A Life
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »
You can also change which drive is the primary, and which is the slave drive...I don't remember how but your smart, you can figure it out.  ;D

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

ModernDark64 design by BlocWeb
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 17 queries.