KEAGaming

Please login or register.

Author Topic: computer  (Read 4679 times)

Offline E.S.P. GAGE

• KEA Colonel
  • Part of The Family
computer
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
My main power supply died, so it's time for a new computer, any input would be appreciated.

E.S.P

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
Re: computer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
if the power supply dies, you dont need a new computer. just get a new power supply, unless you want a new computer.

i suggest you look at some other posts.

processor, intel
graphics card, nvidia
ram, atleast 3 gigs. 4 is best

also, how much are you willing to spend? price range?

make sure you use our links to

Offline E.S.P. GAGE

• KEA Colonel
  • Part of The Family
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »
if the power supply dies, you don't need a new computer. just get a new power supply, unless you want a new computer.

i suggest you look at some other posts.

processor, intel
graphics card, nvidia
ram, atleast 3 gigs. 4 is best

also, how much are you willing to spend? price range?

make sure you use our links to

The technology is about 5 years old so it' most likely time to replace. How is Vista for the operating program it seem a lot of people are running Xp? I perused the other posts to get a few ideas. Price range is not really an issue, but I don't want to waste cash either. I am hoping that it may help Int Speed with a quicker processor as well. Thanks for the reply. E.S.P

Offline D-MAN

• KEA Colonel
  • Get A Life
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
All I can advise is DO NOT buy a pre-fabricated machine....they all suck! makeing your own is cheaper, more efficient, and WAY more fun.  ;D

Offline DinG

• KEA Field Marshal
  • A Perfectionest
  • I AM THE GENERAL MAN
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »
having built over 200 computers so far.. i will ask u 2 important questions..

1) what are u going to use it for?
 and
2) what is ur price range??

if u can tell me that much.. i will put up the best config within ur price range here..

Rev. Jim Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
AMD is a slower C.P.U. .but they are really cheap.

Vista is fine and dont bother getting over 3 gigs of R.A.M. if your going to use a non 64 bit operating system.

Offline koei

• KEA Colonel
  • Nooooooooob!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:06 AM »
If all you're looking for is a mobo, cpu and graphics card, you can probably build a good gaming rig for under $500.  You can get the ati 4850 or x280 for around 200 or less with rebates.  I also suggest at least an intel dual core (E8000 or higher).  AMD is cheaper, but the performance is less.  For mobo if you're not overclocking and don't care about SLI then I think anything should do and it'll cost under $150.

I've been running 64-bit vista for over 6 months and I have to say that it works great.  Honestly, I've never had it crashed on me like XP.  Just make sure that you turn off all the special crap (ie aero) and get at least 4 gigs of RAM. You can get OEM vista for like $150 i think.

Offline E.S.P. GAGE

• KEA Colonel
  • Part of The Family
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
having built over 200 computers so far.. i will ask u 2 important questions..

1) what are u going to use it for?
 and
2) what is ur price range??

if u can tell me that much.. i will put up the best config within ur price range here..

Ding this will be used as a gamer only. I use a bridged computer for internet and email, Price range is not
really an issue, I don't want to waste cash though.

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »
do you plan on overclocking? many factors go into buying a pc. i would pretty much suggest intel, try to get a quad core. wait for windows 7. they already have beta out and its really nice. and i would still suggest to get atleast 3 gigs of ram, try for four, people dont get this, and im sure all of you will disagree with me, but its a proven fact now that windows might not use the whole 4 gigs, but other parts of the computer will. its a proven fact and no matter how many pointers you bring up im gonna argue to hell with you about it.

um, sli, you dont need it, maybe get the new nvidia that just came out, the 295 card. i just read a review and its pretty sick.

the main thing in OSs. you might not want to get an OEM operating system, because what windows does is, when you install it, it sticks with your motherboard, and your license is up for that OS, you can no longer install it onto another computer, so if you get your mobo and your computer is all setup and then your mobo fries, you have to spend more money for another operating system.

i should of asked you this before i typed all this up, do you plan on playing games like crysis or anything? do you want a super high end computer and a computer that you can just play dods on at about 60 fps or whatever?

Offline E.S.P. GAGE

• KEA Colonel
  • Part of The Family
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »
i should of asked you this before i typed all this up, do you plan on playing games like crysis or anything? do you want a super high end computer and a computer that you can just play dods on at about 60 fps or whatever?

Do you plan on playing games like crysis. Yes at some point.

I don't know if I want super high end but, technology changes so quick that it is usually best to get mid high end.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:04:08 PM by KillEmAll »

Offline Ban Em All

• Technical IT Director
  • Get A Life
  • Don't Hurt Me!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »

Do you plan on playing games like crysis. Yes at some point.

I don't know if I want super high end but, technology changes so quick that it is usually best to get mid high end.

um,
you probably want to go with intel i7. cheap, powerful, and very overclock able.
nvidia 9800GTX(go for EVGA, they are the best, plus they are nice when it comes to overclocking, as long as there is no physical damage to the card, they will replace it.
ram, try to get DDR3. decently fast, easily overclockable, if you dont plan on overclockin ram, just get DDR2 then. go for corsair or patriot. those are the best brands for memory in my opinion.
mobos are tricky, lol, i still have trouble deciding on one. just to give you suggestions, go for one that you can do DDR3 and DDR2, this way you can upgrade in the future. im not sure if this saying is true or not, but im just gonna throw it out there, the more money you spend on a mobo, the happier you will be in the future. not sure if its true, just sayin it to make me feel smart. lol.

for cooling your processor(trust me, you want it cooled by somethign other than stock fan). the Zalman CNPS9900 LED. its reported to be the best heatsink out today. just watch out when installing it, you can cut yourself.

these are just my opinions, might want to wait till ding posts back with his opinions. hate to break it to you on the graphics card part, but when you get one, they will have a even better one out the next day. but thats life.

darkiefoxie

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
i have 10 disks of windows xp corp.. dont ask me why i do, im just baller like that
lol

(all burned)

Offline blah #2

• KEA Colonel
  • An Old Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »
I used to build my own computer but I am to lazy now. I purchased http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103154 back in August and it works perfectly for me.

Work                                                                      Home    

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

ModernDark64 design by BlocWeb
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 17 queries.