Computers and Technology > Hardware

Need new desktop PC

(1/35) > >>

tlopez:
Hey, it's time I spend some money on a relatively good PC. I actually have little time to go looking for individual components to buy and then put together. So I looked for a normal prebuilt PC that should be able to run games smoothly. I also hope to be able to use it for atleast 3-4 years. I came up with these 2:

http://www.yourpcstore.nl/shop/product.php?id_product=249
Systeem configuratie   Gaming computer X4-945 / 4GB / 500GB
 Case                    MS-Tech CA0300 Raptor
 Motherboard    Asus M3N78-VM (140W, 6-core ready)
 Processor            AMD(R) Phenom-II quadcore X4-945 - 3.0GHz
 RAM                    Kingston 4GB (2x2) DDR2 800Mhz met levenslange garantie
 Harddisk            Western Digital  500GB, SATAII, 7200, WD5000AAKS
 DVD writer            Sony Optiarc AD5420S, 24 speed, SATAII
 Video kaart            nVidia Geforce GF9800GT
 Audio kaart            VT1708B 8 -Channel - 7.1 HD (onboard)
 Network card    Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit (onboard)
 Backside I/O    VGA, DVI, HDMI, PS/2, 6 audio ports, 6 USB ports, S/PDIF. eSATA
 Frontside I/O         Audio out and microphone, 2 USB ports, eSATA
 Power                  MS-Tech internal 520W, 120mm stille fan
 Weight                   7,2 kg
 Dimensions            182 x 425 x 483 mm
 Remote Control    MS-Tech MR01
 Operating systeem    Linux Ubuntu 9.04

http://www.yourpcstore.nl/shop/product.php?id_product=307
Systeem configuratie   Desktop computer X6-1090T 3.2 GHz
 Case                    MS-Tech CA0300 red or green
 Motherboard    MSI 770-C45
 Processor            AMD(R) Phenom-II sixcore X6-1090T - 3.2 GHz
 RAM                    Kingston 2 GB DDR3 1333Mhz met levenslange garantie (max 16GB)
 Harddisk           160 GB Western Digital SATAII, 7200, WD1600AAJS 8/S
 DVD writer            Samsung SHS223C 22 speed SATAII
 Video kaart            nVidia Geforce 9800GT (green) - 1024MB
 Audio kaart            Intel 7.1 HD (onboard)
 Network kaart    Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit (onboard)
 Backside I/O    VGA, DVI, HDMI, PS/2, 6 audio ports, 6 USB ports
 Frontside I/O        Audio out and microphone, 2 USB ports
 Voeding            MS-Tech internal 750W, 120mm stille fan
 Reart ventilator    Spire Bluestar regulated, 80mm stille fan
 Weight                    7,9Kg
 Dimensions      182 x 425 x 483 mm
 Operating system    Linux Ubuntu 9.04

My questions are:
Are either of these worth buying? Or should I look further?
Are the processors good or not, since I have never used AMD and don't know their capabilities?
Thanks you guys.

TastyTaste:
Hey Lopez, i assume your buying these builds in the UK? and if so, how much are those respective builds priced?  The first option would not be ideal, those parts are old in comparison to today's standards, i doubt you'd be able to play the latest titles at "good" settings for software built for the last couple months.  So you'd probably have to upgrade again in the next couple years (more like a year), definitely will not last you 3-4 years.  The second build looks promising but  6 cores isnt ideal for gaming but more for multitasking (video editing, audio processing, running a lot of things at the same time).  Dont get me wrong though, the second build is better than the first but i heard bad things bout that motherboard (MSI 770-C45) has a northbridge overheating issue. Oh and until valve agrees on releasing STEAM for Linux you might wanna pick up win 7 64bit so it recognizes the full 4 gigs of ram.  Im not an intel fan boy but i am getting a core i7 930 for 200US.  Intel is the way to go, at least if you wanna have  a PC for 3-4 years, Software isnt pushing the i7 series to its max yet.  Moore's law got fucked in the ass.

tlopez:
 They are 549 and 649 euros respectively. I guess I will have to continue searching for a gaming PC. Any like guides as to which graphics card, motherboards, and processors I should get (probablyi7 though)?

Ban Em All:
i7 is very nice, but I honestly like AMD too. I'm not sure if you would care to, but you could also build your own computer. Can probably build it yourself for cheaper and better. :)

tlopez:

--- Quote from: Ban Em All on September 07, 2010, 08:04:42 PM ---i7 is very nice, but I honestly like AMD too. I'm not sure if you would care to, but you could also build your own computer. Can probably build it yourself for cheaper and better. :)

--- End quote ---

There is a small problem with building my own PC. If I buy the parts here in Holland the price is almost the same as if I'd bought it in the store since its all quite pricey. If I import the components (from UK or something) I have to pay import taxes aside from the normal consumer goods/services tax and thus almost making it the same price as local ones. So that's a bit inconvenient. However, if I do build my own (probably Intel i7 since I like it on my laptop) then what motherboards should I get? There many kinds and some have issues with overheating and shit.
I can probably get the components cheap when I go to Germany in October, so that might do the trick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version